The Western Swing Society was established in Sacramento in 1981. It's mission is the preservation and promotion of Western Swing Music as an American jazz art form. The Society achieves it's goals by presenting regular public dances with live Western Swing music, by giving financial assistance to young students with an interest in becoming Western Swing musicians, and by maintaining a Western Swing Hall of Fame honoring individuals whose performance and efforts have contributed significantly to to preservation and promotion of western swing music.
WHAT IS WESTERNS SWING MUSIC?
Western Swing Music is a division of the American phenomenon known as jazz. Many elements of musical roots are combined to form Western Swing music including blues, dixieland, ragtime, big-band, swing, country, pop, and breakdowns.
Jazz music is typically defined by its use of improvisation. This means the featured instrumentalist delivers a continual reinterpretation of the melody being presented. Western Swing music relies also on improvisation. Therefore, Western swing music is a form of jazz with heavy accent on the beat and its dance ability.
The history of Western Swing Music can be endlessly debated. However, our research concludes That the Artform was rooted in the Southwestern Region of the United States, in and around Texas and Oklahoma. In its early development stages, it took on a consistent and uniform sound, pioneered by Bob wills, Milton Brown and their many associates during the 1930's.
The annual membership fee helps cover the costs of producing and mailing the monthly newsletter, of the monthly music meetings, and of general administration of the Society's operation. Other sources of support funding are donations and admission and raffle ticket sales at our monthly music sessions.
The Society is governed by a Board of elected Directors and appointed officials. Elections are held annually, and the new Board makes staff appointments to best accomplish the mission of the Society.
About The Western Swing Society
Charlie Hull Inducted in 1982 HOF #29